Saturday, October 30, 2010

On Church Disciplinary Councils

Doctrine & Covenants Section 102 prescribes the formation of a high council of the Church to resolve disciplinary matters too great for the bishoprics. I didn't really get anything new from it this week. I've read it many times, and the procedures laid out in it are pretty simple. Actually, I guess that's a notable fact: Church disciplinary councils are much simpler than criminal courts. They don't have to worry about memorizing the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure or anything like that. That's a pretty big deal. I'm so glad my church's ecclesiastical leadership isn't an overblown, over-regulated bureaucracy.

1 comment:

  1. It really is very different than a secular court in most ways--and is built upon the principles of repentance and love toward all men. A beautiful structure and we luckily don't need arguments about amendments all of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete